Monday, August 13, 2012

Ear Infections

Why is it that some babies get ear infections all the time and some babies never get ear infections?! Weston had ear infections from about 12 months to 18 months, then we broke down and got tubes in his ears to avoid continued antibiotics. William's ear infections started at about six months, and he's had about six ear infections since. He gets an ear infection, and it heals, then he has another one within a week or two. It's frustrating, and we are trying everything...

We are using Muellin Garlic Ear oil in his ears plus we've been taking him to the chiropractor. Unfortunately, we can't keep the ear infections away. I think we are on the road to getting tubes in his ears, and we are getting referred to an ENT in Brunswick. I'm bummed, because I just want him to be well. I want to do everything in my power to keep him healthy and keep his ears healthy. I'm at home with him again today, because he has a high fever with his ear infection. I can't send him to daycare when he is feeling so crummy.

I've missed a lot of work lately with sick kids. I thought it was supposed to be easier and kids were supposed to be less sick in the summer. Unfortunately, not so for us...

I know that preventing my kids from being sick isn't completely in my control, but I do want to do everything I can to keep them healthy, including making our home a healthy place to live and feeding my kids things that are healthy. I will post more about some of these decisions soon...

1 comment:

  1. I've always wondered that, too. The girls go to school with kids who seem to get one every month or two, and some of the other parents tell me about how much trouble they have to go to to keep their kids' ears clean and dry.

    Fortunately, ours haven't had any (knock knock) and have basically been really healthy. One of them tends to get a lot of rashes...both diaper rash and other skin rashes...and the other one tends to have more regular upset stomachs, though. I think kids get sick, they just all get sick in sort of different ways.

    LK had what I thought may be chicken pox, but the doctor looked at it and told me that it is probably just a virus, but viruses manifest themselves in totally different ways with different kids. One kid may get a rash, another may get a fever, a third may get a runny nose and a fourth may get all or none of those...but it could well be the same virus.

    So...um...no, I have nothing useful to tell you, really;-). Did the tubes work for Weston? How long do they stay in for?

    ReplyDelete