One of the things that we did, was start making our own homemade laundry detergent. Grant and I broke out all the supplies, and we made our laundry detergent last December. It cost us less than $5, and we haven't had to make another batch yet. I anticipate that we'll make it through mid-December before we have to make more. It's been a huge savings for us, and we do a lot of laundry.
Another thing that we did was throw out all of our chemical cleaning supplies, I'll do a post on what we use to clean our house later this week. We also got rid of our dryer sheets. Both of my boys have eczema, and we've always had to be really careful about what we use to wash their clothes and especially sheets. I never really thought about dryer sheets. Then, I read some research on dryer sheets, and I was shocked. For these reasons, we no longer use dryer sheets when doing laundry.
Here are some of the information I found on dryer sheets:
Dryer sheets contain the following chemicals:
- Benzyl acetate: Linked to pancreatic cancer
- Benzyl Alcohol: Upper respiratory tract irritant
- Ethanol: On the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list and can cause central nervous system disorders
- Limonene: Suspected Gastrointestinal or Liver Toxicant, Immunotoxicant,
Kidney Toxicant, Neurotoxicant, Respiratory Toxicant, and Skin or Sense Organ Toxicant
- A-Terpineol: Can cause respiratory problems, including fatal edema, and central nervous system damage
- Ethyl Acetate: A narcotic on the EPA’s Hazardous Waste list
- Camphor: Causes central nervous system disorders
- Chloroform: Neurotoxic, anesthetic and carcinogenic
- Linalool: A narcotic that causes central nervous system disorders
- Pentane: A chemical known to be harmful if inhaled
- Central nervous system disorders
- Blood pressure reduction
- Irritation to skin, mucus membranes and respiratory tract
- Pancreatic cancer
Here are some links with more information about dryer sheets:
- Holistic Health Secrets
- Nappy Shoppe
- Natural News
I wouldn't consider myself a "natural mama", but I have seen a huge difference in the health of my children since making changes to our lifestyle from household chemicals to foods we eat.